Re: NFC: Fw: Native Fish

Hi there Teresa.

We've got plenty of time for little people like you! :)
If you're interested, you can join the mailing list and get all sorts of
great information on native fish and maybe even meet people in your area with
the same interests.  You can do this by sending e-mail to
Majordomo at actwin_com with the command "Subscribe nfc" right in the body.
You'll be automatically added.  If you have any trouble, you can contact me
at owner-nfc at actwin_com or this addy, and I'll be happy to help, unless I'm
in a bad mood or som--erm, I'll be happy to help. :)

<End Shameless Plug>
<Begin Answer>

A lot of your native fishes will do great in your pond and make a much better
choice than goldfish, which may not like your summer weather, are dirty,
polluting fishes, and, at least to me, are just plain ugly.  I'm not sure
what will avoid the jaws of your turtles without a little more information on
size, species, and so forth.  You'd be best to decide for yourself, anyhow!

You can pick up a lot of books on how to identify and where to find some of
the ifshes in your area that you may be interested in.  One of these is
Peterson's Guide to Freshwater Fish of North America (Check me on the title,
it might be North American Freshwater Fish or something to that extent.  Any
good bookstore will have it in the Field Guide section, with the other
peterson's guides.)  If you're familiar with the Peterson's Field Guide
series, you'll have no trouble using this book.  The plates could use al
ittle work, but, hey, fish photography isn't easy (though some of us do
better jobs than others.... )

If you're willing to forgo good pictures, I know the NY State Dept. of
Conservation puts out little booklets every few years on all of our fishes.
Your state's DNR or DEC likely does the same.

You can go out and catch your own, if you want.  If thats not your bucket of
worms (sorry, couldn't resist) you can also try subscribing to the Fish Wish
List (subscribe fwl) by the same method, and ask there.  Someone is likely to
be able to get anything you want, and likely willing to.

IF collectings what you want to do, all you need is a legal net and a fishing
liscense.

Josh Wiegert.
Generally Weird List Admin.

--
end
  ____^__
><,Darwin,>
Joshua L. Wiegert
NFC Lists Administrator                          Wiegerj at paulsmiths_edu
www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/1680/        owner-nfc at actwin_com
ICQ 1918889                                      AIM UID: Etheosoma
Feel free to contact me by any of the above means for any reason.