NFC: Fw: [Updates] PARTICIPATE IN RIVERS 2000!

CALL TO ARMS FOR RIVER ACTIVISTS AND ENTHUSIASTS!

PARTICIPATE IN RIVERS 2000!

The River Management Society, with help from American Rivers, River
Network,
and other river groups, is leading a broad coalition in a major
celebration
of our rivers as we enter the new millennium. The goal of Rivers 2000 is
increase public understanding and appreciation of our nation’s 3.2
million
river miles and their watersheds.

Highlights of Rivers 2000 include:
* Official proclamation of Rivers 2000 Month by the Clinton
Administration –
either June or July (anticipated);
* 2,000 river and watershed related activities and events across the
country, with a state coordinator in every state;
*"Pass the Paddle" – an event that will bring together public officials
and
boaters from across the continent to carry the official Rivers 2000
paddle
from state to state, culminating with the presentation of the paddle to
President Clinton;
* An online, virtual rivers conference hosted by American Rivers;
* A major conference and celebration conducted by River Management
Society
in Charleston, South Carolina April 18-22;
* Development of a new National Agenda for Rivers in the 21st. Century;
and
* A up-to-date Website (www.rivers2000.org) to track the progress of the
"Pass the Paddle" event and provide information on all Rivers 2000
activities and how to get involved.

Rivers and watersheds are shared and valued by all communities. As shared
resources, our nation’s waterways depend upon collaborative and inclusive
strategies to keep them healthy and enable them to continue to serve the
needs of the fish, wildlife, and human communities that rely upon them.
Rivers 2000 will stress the importance of these restoration activities
and
their role in revitalizing local communities.

"Pass the Paddle" will visit some of America's most outstanding and
historically important river systems, such as the Suwanee, Ohio,
Mississippi, Colorado, and Connecticut. The event will bring national
attention to these community resources and the on-going citizen efforts
protect and restore them.

To register your event or activity, find out what's going on in your
area,
or get involved, visit the Rivers 2000 wesbite at www.rivers2000.org or
contact your state coordinator (listed on the website). You can also
contact
Project Manager Doug Carter at DDCarter1 at aol_com or 517-627-8362. You can
reach the River Management Society at rms at river-management_org,
406-549-0514, or through their website at www.river-management.org.

Suzy McDowell
Outreach Coordinator
American Rivers