NFC: Indiana big fish kill: toxic metals probed

 <A HREF="http://www.starnews.com/news/citystate/2000/jan/0123st_waste.html">S
tarNews.com : Toxic metals probed in fish kill</A>

"Toxic metals might be part of the chemical cocktail that poisoned 88 tons of
White River fish............"

 "The state has yet to pinpoint the exact cause of the fish ill despite
having spent as much as $200,000 on lab tests."

"But the chemical trail still leads to Guide Corp., according to
investigators."

See above link for details.

I have observed that the newspaper has stopped running daily stories on the
event.  The evening news I normally watch (Channel 8) still has daily
stories.  Today they have reported that the FBI has assigned an agent that
specializes in environmental crimes to the case.

They also reported about a system of keeping native fish in an aquaria and
having scientists observe them after subjecting them to treated water being
dumped in to the river at waste water treatment plants.  This appears to be
done more or less in real time.  If anything detrimental is observed, they
can take action.  Channel 8 reported this sort of as a "canary in a coal
mine" warning system but that it isn't used much because of the expense.
They showed video of a large aquarium full of common minnows.

I know I am preaching to the choir, but I am afraid that it is human nature
to pay attention to the big kills but then allow ourselves to complacently go
back to slowly poisoning our eco system.

Chuck Church
Indianapolis, Indiana USA