RE: NFC: A filter idea

[snip]

> Not talking about swept vs. stright vanes, but the direction of
> rotation would be extremely important in my design.  How do you
> design an AC motor to have a preferred direction of rotation?  I
> guess I always assumed they all turned in only one direction.

The type of motor found in power filters seems to be unique to these filters
and small submersible pumps.  Efficiency is probably being sacrificed for
compactness and simplicity.  Presumably, applications requiring larger
motors call for something much more efficient.

The humidifier in my apartment contains two square-shaped, brushless AC
motors that operate the fans.  Obviously, such motors must have a single
direction of rotation.  Unlike power filter motors, they do not contain
permanent magnets.

Andrew Dalton

Follow-Ups: References: