now: insect sweep net

In a message dated 9/3/99 1:59:06 AM US Central Standard Time,
Owner-Live-Foods at actwin_com writes:

>Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:52:16 EDT
>From: McDaphnia at aol_com
>Subject: Re: Field plankton

<< You can use a butterfly net obtainable at hobby and science stores or via
 science catalogs. A large aquarium net will catch some bugs, especially if
 you wet it periodically. You can convert a long handled landing net to
 catching field plankton, without affecting its normal function. Put a pair
of
 panty hose inside and turn the elastic waist over the net rim.  Be sure to
 cull your catch. Remove all the earwigs, true bugs, and stinging insects.  >>

1)  Why remove earwigs, true bus and stinging insects?

2)  I purchased a great sweep net for this purpose from Bio-Quip about two
years ago.  I normally take it when going fishing for live bait but it would
be great for fish food, too.  Short, heavy duty handle; heavy ring, sail
cloth net area, edge is heavy duty vinyl.  Here is their website.

<A HREF="http://www.rth.org/entomol/bioquip.htm">Bioquip Entomological
Products Page</A>

Chuck Church
Indianapolis, Indiana USA