Re: (Curing hydra)

> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 19:29:00 EDT
> From: BErney1014 at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #495
>
> In a message dated 8/13/99 4:02:46 PM, Owner-Live-Foods at actwin_com writes:
>
> >If you *do* get flatworms or hydra, LMK and I'll give you an easy one-week
> >cure.
> >
> >Wright
> >

> One of the biggest problems I encounter is the loss of goldfish alevins to
> hydra. I loose buckets full and had suspected bloodworms as the culprit. I
> later suspected hydra.

Bruce, IDK if it will work the same for you on colder-water fish. It
probably will. I use drugstore (37%?) formaldehyde to get rid of hydra and
flatworms (planarians). You must dose every other day for about a week.
There's no way I know to do it with larger single doses without hurting
other stuff in the tank.

Keep back a daphnia starter, in case they go belly up, too. (^_^)

1 drop per gallon, used every *other* day will usually do the trick in about
3-4 dosings. If not, try 2 drops per gallon and repeat the series.

Caution: This more-concentrated formaldehyde ("Formalin") is a very
dangerous material, so avoid direct contact with it or its fumes. It is a
powerful tanning agent and is suspected to be carcinogenic.

Our out-of-control trial-lawyer problem may make it hard to find, any more.
The liability problem terrifies normal businessmen. I get it from a lab
supply store.

The fish-store 2-3% stuff is worthless, IMHO. It's too unstable at that
concentration to take typical store display conditions for very long.

The dilute instability also means that it is absorbed and dissipated within
48 hrs in the tank. That's why dosing on alternate days is mandatory. Carbon
filtering isn't needed to remove it. Organic detritus in the aquarium does
it very well, apparently.

Wright

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.