Re: Food of the living dead

I'm aware of the dead mammal/Daphnia phenomenon. I've read the account about
the squirrel in the Aquarium Digest International magazine, and I've heard
there is a very old aquarium book that advocates weighting down a dead cat
and sinking it in your favorite Daphnia culture or collecting spot, something
like that. I used to sell Daphnia to a pet shop. I guess one time the owner
siphoned out the molts of the Daphnia and set them in a 5 gallon bucket under
the parakeet cages. Somehow it got overlooked for a good time, and when he
looked it was packed full of the reddest Daphnia he'd ever seen. Slight
problem though sorting them out from the seed husks, feathers, and parakeet
poop! :>) I've had large Mystery or Apple snails die in a Daphnia culture,
and the dead snail is a great food source, if there is not much smell. Ah,
smell! THAT was the equation! Survival overules programming! The Old Ones, I
mean, the smell must be eliminated.