Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #475

In a message dated 21-Jul-99 4:01:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
Owner-Live-Foods at actwin_com writes:

<< Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 07:43:07 EDT
 From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
 Subject: Re: Brewer's yeast

 Howard writes:

 > I have been using bread machine yeast plus hot water to make upfood
 >  for my daphnia cultures. I keep hearing about using brewers yeast.
 >  so I   recently got some from general nutrition, It doesn't seem to
 >  go into suspension even with boiling. How do you folks use brewers
 >  yeast to culture daphnia. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanx
 >  Howard  >>
	I have had a culture of daphnia going for a couple months now and
although it would probably be better to feed them "live foods"(algae,
Euglena,etc.) I have had no trouble using Brewers yeast to keep them going. I
actually have trouble using them fast enough to keep the culture from getting
too big and crashing on me!
	Anyway, all I do is take a brine shrimp net, with the very fine mesh,
pour a teaspoon of the brewers yeast into it and swish it in the water at the
top of the tank. As I do that I'll also pinch the yeast from the bottom of
the net to squeeze more of the cloudiness into the water. Doing this keeps
almost all of the solids in the net for easy removal and dissolves/suspends
the rest of the nutrients in the water for the daphnia's delight.
	Hope this helps.
	Kurtis Gelhar (BlueScarab at AOL_com)