Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #460

Hello Stuart,

Assuming that Australian mosquitoes have similar habits to the critters
around here, to see egg-rafts, you have to look against the light on the
water surface. Egg rafts will disrupt the smooth reflection of the sky
on the water. They can be really any size, but 2 x 2 mm to 4 x 4 mm are
most common. Just pick them up with a piece of wood.

I don't know whether there are Daphnia in Australia. Probably yes, since
Cladocera (the Daphnia family) are ubiquitous. If not, that niche must
be accupied by something similar. A local biology teacher will probably
know & possibly be able to provide a starter culture. Follow HIS
directions.

In size they are from <1 mm to 5 mm -- not hard to see with the nacked
eye. If you have to hunt for them yourself, then a reasonably good
technique is to use a stocking net on a hoop and swoosh it in the water
"in a figure eight" motion. After a while invert the stocking into a
pail, to wash out all the collected critters. Trnsfer to a glass jar, so
you can see through it from the side.

After the dirt settles, Daphnia will be seen *hopping* in the water.
Theoretically, all you need is a single female, because they are
parthenogenetic. If you don't succeed on the first try, another spot
might work. Usually, if there are NO fish, there will be Daphnia!

Keep your captured Daphnia in the original water until you get
reproduction, then subdivide the culture and change water VERY slowly,
one culture at a time. Some of them are quite sensitive to water
changes!

Probably the best food for Daphnia are algae, although they will NOT eat
all of the algae species! An artificial food is baker's yeast suspended
in water. Add just a FEW drops, to make the water slightly cloudy. When
it clears, add more yeast.

Harvest frequently. Overpopulated cultures crash -- everything dies,
except one or two individuals! That's why you have to subdivide the
culture, since they seldom will crash at the same time.If you have
patience, you can start a culture from these individuals surviving a
crash. They will slightly better tolerate overcrowding.

Good luck on your hunt!!!

Best,

George