Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #449

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999 15:58:01 -0400 (EDT), Owner-Live-Foods at actwin_com
(Live Foods Digest) wrote:

>Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 06:51:03 -1000
>From: "Mach T. Fukada" <fukada at aloha_net>
>Subject: Re: Moina (LFD V2 #442)
>
>Actually the switch to sexual reproduction is one of the good things about
>this species.  Very often we over feed and crash the culture.  The eggs
>hatch fairly quickly and allow the culture to bounce back in a few days.
>Also this species seems to be one of the smaller species and the immatures
>are compareable to artemia naupli.

Both of course is true.

>Check out these links:
>
>http://www.digital-m.com/~kiri/
>http://www.aquafauna.com/HAN1098.htm

Both did not mention the species name but only talking about Moina.

 In germany few aquarium hobbyists have a species called Moina
macrocopa. I am not sure whether the name is correct, but today I
received a starter culture of this. This is surely not M. micrura and
might be one of the other species occurring in german waters: M.
macrocopa or M. brachiata. Once I  found a link concerning M. dubia,
which was cultivated by some fish breeders in Singapore. As far as I
know, this  link is down but I still have a copy of this text on my
computer.

Stephan
--
Stephan Pflume
Abt. Vegetationskunde und Populationsbiologie