Re: Moina (was LFD V2 #440

Hi George,
	The people in Hawaii have been working with this crustacena quite
intensively and have gotten it identified to Moina micrura.  Apparently, in
previous experiments Dr. T and Co have been able to get the cultures to
double in density every 24 hours.  Nice as you can harvest half the culture
and have the same ammount every day.  It don't quite work for me as the
cool conditions outside are slowing them down.  Also there has been a lot
of work by Dr. Tamaru regarding the, sizes, fatty acid profiles, etc.
	Aske me about the culture off list.

>From: "Clyde S Tamaru" <ctamaru at hawaii_edu>
>To: "Mach T. Fukada" <fukada at aloha_net>
>Subject: Fw: Moina micrura Kurz, 1874
>Date: 	Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:45:13 -1000
>
>Dear Mach:
>
>Hope you are settling in and things are going well.  I sent samples of the
>Moina that are being cultured by many aquarist to get a name.  A taxonomist
>has put a name on the critter and thought you might want to know.

Mach T. Fukada
AKA member 07778
fukada at aloha_net

MACh Tech,
Macintosh Computer and Agriculture/Aquaculture Consulting

Visit our friends at the Honolulu Aquarium Society
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/2948/HASF.html

Also see what awesome deals can be found at the Fish Shack
http://www.thefishshack.com/