earthworm culture

I started an earthworm culture almost three months ago, and so far, I
only have the original dozen worms I put in there.  The culture is in a
styro fish box with four one inch holes in the lid.  The medium is
potting soil with cardboard chips and newspaper on the surface. I add
some water from my rinsed out sponge filters when it gets dry (about
twice a month).
  I thought I'd at least have some baby worms.  I read on this list that
in three months I'd have all the worms I needed of any size I wished,
but this is not the case.

  Please help my worms!

Jason Miller
Sherwood Park, AB