Re: D. hydei

Owner-Live-Foods at actwin_com writes:

 Drosophila hydei as a live food. I am planning on
>  ordering some. I know that they are supposed to be larger then
>  Drosophila melanogaster, but how much larger? Any other info would be
>  great also.
They are about twice as big as wingless fruitflies. The wings add even more
apparent size, and the almost black color also makes them appear larger. They
may look like they are houseflies in comparison, but I think twice the size
is fair. We are culturing both flies here, so I can hold up two cultures side
by side and compare. The hydei are less likely to hop and climb out of an
aquarium, but a few Houdinis will manage it. Fish, mantids, and spiders that
ignore the wingless fruitflies will eat the hydei.