Re: Micro Worms

> Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 02:03:38 -0800
> From: Jeremy Adams <adamsjer at ucs_orst.edu>
> Subject: Micro Worms

snip...

> Moral of this story is: Don't give up on your crashed micro worm
> cultures.

Been there, done that. (^_^)

One thing that helps old forgetful, here, is a culture method that resists
crashing so easily. For years I tinkered with various pablum/yeast mixes, and
when they went, they could stink up a room.

Lately, I have used larger containers, with a tight-fitting lid. Closing off the
air seems to encourage climbing the walls. IDK if it is oxygen depletion or just
the high humidity. My containers are about a 5" cube, fairly transparent and the
lids latch tight. As I recall they are by Aero, and hold 3 quarts.

I feed the worms only bread and water (almost none of the latter once they get
going).

A slice of white bread fits nicely in the bottom, and a bit of water to moisten
it allows rapid propagation of a start. When the slice is reduced to mush, I
just lay another on top of it! I add a few drops of water, to replace
evaporation when I open the lid, and the culture just seems to keep going.

Now I just use a slice of any bread that has gone stale (not too moldy) and the
worms scarf it up. They really went well on "Roman Meal" brand Honey-Oat-Nut
bread, BTW.

It is a delight to be greeted by a nice yeasty smell when I open the box to
scrape off some worms. I don't miss the old Gerber's stink one damned bit.

Wright

PS. Yes, I do keep another going, just in case. ;-)

--
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  huntley1 at home dot com

One big difference between a Libertarian and a Demopublican is the
Libertarian knows it's not a waste to vote against a Republocrat.
                   http://www.self-gov.org/