Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #393

In a message dated 3/16/99 4:11:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, Owner-Live-
Foods at actwin_com writes:

<< mizquier at entelchile_net >>
I am going to assume that you're turtle is a water turtle since you seem to be
keeping it as one. So far you are doing a good job of keeping the turtle, it
will need a small flat stone that it can crawl out of the water and bask (sit
in the sun) on. For food I am not completely familiar with what you mention
but I know that most water turtles will eat small earth worms, bugs, and maybe
a small fish or piece of fish from time to time, water plants will be eaten
sometimes too. It is also necessary for the turtle to bask (sit in the sun) on
his rock out of the water every few days for about an hour. He will probably
out grow his container in short period of time, maybe a year or so. if he is
native to your area he could be kept in an outdoor pond made from an old
barrel (plastic or wooden). Cut it off short, about 6 to 12 inches depending
if it gets really cold in the winter where you live. a larger rock should be
provided for him to bask on. Keep feeding him the gammarus and supplement with
worms and bugs and the turtle should do very well.

                                                                   Michael
Hissom