Shredding cardboard for worms

Non-member submission from ["David Robinson" <David.Robinson at intel_com>]
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:11:24 -0500 (EST)

A couple of days ago, somebody mentioned cutting cardboard into
strips using a utility knife.  They then went on to mention that
the strips are cut into squares using scissors.  I have never
tried cardboard bedding because it sounds too labor intensive.
However, the utility knife method in "step one" doesn't sound
too bad.  I'm wondering if this could be improved upon.

It seems that the utility knife could also be used to cut the
strips into squares.  The problem is keeping the strips still
enough to slice them with a knife.  So... how 'bout this:

  Lay out a bunch of cardboard strips parallel to each other in
  a single layer.

  Now, place a piece of 1x2 (or 2x4) wood across (perpendicular to) the
  strips.

  Press on the wood to hold the strips tightly into place.  Now
  slice the strips.  (Similar to drawing a straight line with a
  ruler... but replace the pencil with a utility knife and replace
  the ruler with a 1x2 peice of wood.)

Does this sound practical?  Due to my schedule, I won't be able to
try this for several weeks.  If someone gets a chance, please report
back if the method works.  It seems like it would be an easy solution.
(Make sure you use a new blade in your utility knife, and keep your
knuckles out of the way!)

Regards,
David Robinson
The original Discus Page