Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #385

In a message dated 3/7/99 4:11:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, Owner-Live-
Foods at actwin_com writes:

>  I understand that the adults most be removed after the babies are
>  released and I am wondering roughly when this happens.
>  I have them in a 5g tank with daphnia and cyclops and with a fair amount
>  of java moss.  I have an aquaclear mini filter on the tank with a filter
>  sponge over the intake and a sheet of plastic in front of the outflow to
>  minimize tank agitation.
>
>  Any comments or pointers for ghost shrimp breeding?

You might check the LFArchives for this topic. It is not necessary to remove
the adults. Feeding both live and prepared food and having much of the tank
filled with a fine leaved plant seems to ensure success with these small
shrimp.Females carry the eggs in a usually greenish mass attached to the
underside of what would be a "lobster tail" in a much larger distant cousin. I
have not tried a tank smaller than a twenty long nor larger than a twenty nine
with success.  The five gallon tank may be testing the limits. In that small a
tank, removing all the adults might enhance the number of surviving juveniles.