Breeding Ghost Shrimp

The following was a bounced non-member submission that was addressed to
both the list and to me, so I'll take this time to give my response to
Bill's question at the same time I forward it to the list.

From: Bill Hamlin <wjhamlin at hydro_mb.ca>

> Hi David,
>
> I am interested in breeding ghost shrimp and I have a couple of
> questions.
> Would a tank with daphnia work?  The daphnia would consume most of the
> green water algae but it sounds like the ghosties eat daphnia.
>
> Do they require hard(ish) water? (Mine is soft.)
>
> I have tried keeping them in my planted tanks (with small fish). They
> would never seem to last more than 2 or 3 months.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Bill

I've had better luck with ghost shrimp in harder water.  I assume that
they need the minerals for shell production and such.  I suspect that
they'd do well in a tank with daphnia since they will eat filamentous
algae that the daphnia can't eat and re-release the nutrients into the
water where unicellular green algae (a good daphnia food) can get at
them.

--
David W. Webb
Live-Foods list administrator