Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #300

***** My apologies for the 2nd post, was searching for latin name of Yamato
shrimps & hit the 'Send' Button.  Following is the completed msg ***** ;-)

Hi Wright and Fukada

> From: Wright Huntley <huntley1 at home_com>
> Subject: Re: Nori flakes
> You can get the Nori wrappers for sushi at most oriental markets...
Ah.... that Nori 'flake'.  Gotcha loud and clear. Thanks

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:17:52
From: "Mach T. Fukada" <fukada at hawaii_edu>
Subject: Re:  cleaner shrimp
> The ones I was thinking of are bright scarlet -red and perhaps.25-.5
inches at the most....working with them to see how well they will co-exist
with P. cyanodorsalis a
brackis water  blue eye that doesn't get too large.  Figured it would be
neat to see them living in a tank with Java moss and Java fern.
> They do clean up algae (fillmentous green) from plants fairly well and
the manager at the pet shop I frequent uses them to "scrub" algae off of
plants as they are waiting to be sold for someones meal.  Now that I have
more info, I am not sure if this shrimp is one of the endemic/indigenous
species that requires their larvae to spend time in the ocean.  Need to do
more research.  Can always go look at them
in the pet shop and see what things I can find out.
Fukada, is there a URL for these shrimps you mentioned.  The Yamato
numa-ebi shrimps (aka Amano Shrimp & Caradina Japonica) that is in my FW
planted 200litre setup doesn't go for the filamentous algae and your
scarlet-red ones caught my attention.  Question is can these guys be
assimiliated / aclimatised to FW?  Will be anxiously waiting for any
updates on your progress.  Thanks

Regards,
Ronnie