Re: bloodworms

>I would like to know what is involved in making your own blood >worms.
I have 7-bala sharks, and am extremely interested in finding a >more
financialy effective way of feeding them.  sincerly:
                           Scott Jordison
Aldergrove   BC

 Hi Scott,
Bloodworms are actually the aquatic larvae various terrestrial flying
midges  (although I think that tubifex worms are also sometimes referred
to as bloodworms - perhaps mistakenly).   Anyways, the midge larvae,
which are fantastic fish food,  are difficult to rear indoors since the
larvae must first mature into flying adults, which then must mate and
lay eggs in a nearby water source. Theoretically if you could get enough
of these larvae to mature at the same time to create swarms of these
midges, some mating would likely occur and potentially a large number of
eggs laid back into your aquarium or whatever water vessel you happen to
have laying around. Unless you don't mind lots of midges flying around
your house, this doesn't seem like a very feasible idea.  During warm
weather Chironomids (another name for bloodworms) can be reared in huge
numbers outside in any tub of water left to sit in your yard.  This is
also a great way you attract lots of other fish goodies such as mosquito
larvae and Daphnia.
I hope this helps.
Good Luck.

 Bentley Christie