Re: bloodworms

>Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 16:17:53 -0600
>From: "David W. Webb" <dwebb at ti_com>
>Subject: making blood worms
>
>Non-member submission from [laroofing <laroofing at uniserve_com>]
>
>I would like to know what is involved in making your own blood worms.
>have 7-bala sharks, and am extremely interested in finding a more
>financialy effective way of feeding them.  sincerly:
>                           Scott Jordison
>                           Aldergrove   BC

Hi Scott,
Bloodworms are actually the aquatic larvae various terrestrial flying
midges  (although I think that tubifex worms are also sometimes referred
to as bloodworms - perhaps mistakenly).   Anyways, the midge larvae,
which are fantastic fish food,  are difficult to rear indoors since the
larvae must first mature into flying adults, which then must mate and
lay eggs in a nearby water source.
Theoretically if you could get enough of these larvae to mature at the
same time to create swarms of these midges, some mating would likely
occur and potentially a large number of eggs laid back into your
aquarium or whatever water vessel you happen to have laying around.
Unless you don't mind lots of midges flying around your house, this
doesn't seem like a very feasible idea.  During warm weather,
Chironomids (another name for bloodworms) can be reared in huge numbers
outside in any tub of water left to sit in your yard.  This is also a
great way you attract lots of other fish goodies such as mosquito larvae
and Daphnia.
Anyways, I hope this helps.
Godd Luck.

Bentley Christie