Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #276

If Julian's right I wouldn't bother culturing cyclops. They're _never_
terribly prolific, they are an intermediary host for tapeworms (correct me
if I'm wrong but I don't think Daphnia have this particular parisitic
problem), some species attack young fry, and they're nasty little buggers
that I wish I could get out of my daphnia cultures but never can :P.

You're better advised culturing Daphnia since they eat the same food and
are many times more prolific (if not as hardy).

John

> Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 13:43:59 -0000
> From: J.P.Haffegee at open_ac.uk
> Subject: RE: Live Foods Digest V2 #274
>
> Sounds like cyclops. They are very tough, when my daphnia cultures
> crash, they usually turn into cyclops cultures. They seem to thrive in
> dirty water, with an anaerobic substrate......  fish will eat them
> (they're fast swimmers, and its entertaining watching the fish having to
> really chase their dinner for once), however if you feed a mix, they'll
> leave the cyclops until last. I think the two round bits are egg sacks,
> and therefore they also exist without them.
>

> 		Julian

---

 "Language has not the power to speak what love indites:
  The soul lies buried in the ink that writes."
                               John Clare (1793 - 1864)

 john at itintelligence_com  (http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~jpc)