Re: Artemia outside

>Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:03:05 -0000
>From: J.P.Haffegee at open_ac.uk
>Subject: artemia outside
>
>I've been growing artemia in tanks outside, just feeding grass
>clippings. I was not really going for maximum yield, merely some, once
>or twice each week. I hatch my bbs indoors, feed them, and the few that
>are left after a few days get chucked outside, to grow on. Now winters
>approaching , light levels and temperatures are dropping- last year I
>just skipped them for a few months, but I would like to keep them going
>this year. Does anyone know what kind of minimum temperature you can
>still raise shrimps at. I'm considering the garage, balcony or indoors
>if I have to (but then they take up fish space). Is light critical if
>you feed them yeast or something?

Hi Julian,
when keeping your Artemia inside your garage during the winter I do not
expect you would encounter too many problems. Generally speaking (I am
not aware of any minimum temperatures mentioned in literature) Artemia
thrive in temperatures from 22C to 28C. Higher temperatures might be
lethal for most Artemia strains (A. franciscana seems to tolerate higher
temperatures) and are definitely less than optimal. On the other side I
would suggest to try keeping a minimum temperature of around 15C.
Artemia performance will be low ... but the population should survive
long enough to give you some food for your fish). Too low temperatures
prevent high density Artemia populations in salt ponds during winter.

Why do you have a low survival rate when growing baby brine shrimp? I
think you might have too high a bacterial load in your rearing tank. Try
rather big water exchanges and providing live micro-algae if you can
(lots of work though).

Light should not form a big problem, only if you feed them live algae I
would install some light bulbs. Remember that most adult Artemia react
negatively on light stimuli, e.g. they go to the deeper parts of the
salt ponds in nature during midday.

I would also use a moderate salinity when rearing your Artemia, e.g.
around 30 ppt in order to not ask too much from the osmoregulatory
system of the Artemia.

Hope this will help you a little bit.
Steve Geerts