Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #243

Hello Frank,

I have always used corn meal and *active* yeast for microworm culture.
One has to add only a few grains of the dry active yeast and it will
multiply and feed the "worms". Also, the culture does not smell, if one
does not consider a very slight fruity odor a "smell". Without addition
of yeast, sometimes I have had a "mighty potent" odor. I guess that it
depends on which bacteria get a foothold. Yeast seems to prevent rampant
bacterial growth.

I add the yeast to the wet or cooked, (unbleached) cornmeal a few hours
before adding the microworm starter culture, to give the yeast a chance
to start multiplying. It works every time!

Best,

George