Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #218

Helo Stephan,

I agree with you completely, that addition of sodium bicarbonate, will
slowly raise the pH to about 8.2, but not higher. This is because 0.1
Normal NaHCO3 solution has a pH of 8.4. Thus if one wants to go higher,
to pH 9+, only sodium carbonate (or another strong base like trisodium
phosphate) will do it in reasonably low concentrations.

It is axiomatic, that the change of pH in an *inhabited* tank must be
done *very* slowly because, as you say, rapid change in pH will damage
or even kill the inhabitants.

If I were doing such a "pH adjustment", I wouldn't change the pH of an
inhabited tank by more than 0.2 pH units/day. A *good* electronic pH
meter would come in handy here!

Best,

George