Re: Live food for Colisa Chuna/Honey Gouramis

Non-member submission from ["Baz" <m00mt700 at mcmail_com>]

From: "Baz" <m00mt700 at mcmail_com>
To: Live-Foods at actwin_com
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 13:23:23 +0000
Subject: Re: Live food for Colisa Chuna/Honey Gouramis

Thank you all for your tips.  My gouramis are now spawning in
just a few inches of water - they seem happy.  The infusoria culture
continue to worry me though. Dave Gomberg cast enough doubt on my
"Paramecium" (P's) , now I think I probably am culturing something
completely different - and possibly harmful.  I  really need a
microscope, but with a x20 hand lens these P's are about
0.2mm long, roughly oval, with a circular spiraling, whirligig sort
of motion.  They gravitate towards the bottom of the tank - which
Dave suggested is uncharacteristic of P's.  Is this enough
for anyone to suggest what I've got?  Incidentally, the culture was
seeded, as suggested in one book, by simple exposure to air for a few
days.  I suppose airbourne P's spore would be the seed.

Dave - thanks for the P's site info. I can confirm the site:
http://zfishstix.cs.uoregon.edu/zf_info/zfbook/cont.html will tell
you all everything you need to know about P's and Zebrafish!

I cannot locate P's seed cultures in London - no luck.  Any Londoners
here can help?  As for microworms (thanks Alysoun),  my text books
say these are larger than newly hatched brine shrimp - which are
already way too big for new c chuna fry.  Do you harvest yours very
young or is this a different species?  Again, no luck with microworm
seed cultures in London.

One final question to the assembled grey matter here.  What do you
think would be the food value of that thick green water in the old
tub in my back yard, that has been brewing all summer? Filered
through fine cotton mesh, do you think c chuna might go for it?  Or
would I be introducing more problems here?
Baz
bwatts at mcmail_com