Non-member submission from ["Baz" <m00mt700 at mcmail_com>]

From: "Baz" <m00mt700 at mcmail_com>
To: Live-Foods at actwin_com
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 12:20:51 +0000
Subject: Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #163

Hi
I recently joined the group after experiencing problems raising
batches of colisa chuna - the Honey Gourami.  Its a very
small fish. Spawning is no problem - but getting the feeding right
seems to be difficult.  I hope it is appropriate to discuss infusoria
cultures here - after all, its food and its live.

I have read extensively from aquarium books, and still three
successive broods of fry have been lost due to what appears to be
lack of food.  Many books say feed newly hatched brine shrimp.  but
thats a bit like giving a new born babe a cow to eat!  Brine shrimp
is just too big for them.

I have tried the usual method infusoria culture, decaying vegetable
matter in a large vessel and let the culture develop.  When placed
into the tank, the paramecium can be seen whirling around, usually
around the bottom of the the tank, but little evidence of the fry
feeding.

I tried some of the commercial preparations (Tetra Liquifry), which
only produced masses and masses of planaria worms.  Whatever
the text books say, these certainly DO kill fry.  I have a large
hand lens and have watched planaria fall onto fry, attach
themselves. The fry then goes into a spiral nose dive and is soon
dead.

Some of the fish talked about here as food fish must produce fry
as least as small as my Honey Gouramis.  What do you feed your
tiny fry on?  And any tips on culturing infusoria?
Baz  (London).
bwatts at mcmail_com