Masquito's

Do masquitos lay eggs that can dry up and become dormant? I went to my
favorite Daphnia collecting pond and it had finally dried up:-( So I got to
thinking that I would collect a whole bunch of the top layer pieces of
sediment. They kind of form hard sheets when dried if you have never seen a
dried up pond before. I figured I would hatch the resting daphnia eggs in the
substate. Well I have seen no daphnia yet but tons of masquto larva are showng
up. This is all happening in my basement (never seen a masquito down there
before). The stuff has been in water for over 2 weeks. Maquito larva are good
food but I was hopping for daphnia. Drats.

Jeremy