Re: Moths

Try the greater wax moth (Gallaria mallonela sp?  It's been a long time
since I did entomology).  Can probablly get a starter for a bait shop or
someone who raises honey bees (pest that invades hive).  The media was a
mixure of honey, glycerol, beeswax and some other goodies (eg. ceral).  If
I have time I can look up the mixture.  I am sure there is a protocol
online somewhere...

MTF

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 22:14:26 -0700
>From: Jeremy <adamsjer at ucs_orst.edu>
>Subject: Moths
>
>Has anyone tried culturing moths? Not the tiny ones that sometimes invade your
>pantry but big ol' outside moths. I sometimes catch them outside by my porch
>light and my frogs and chameleons go nuts for them. Sometimes I get none or
>one every other night. It sure would be nice to get a sustainable culture
>going. My critters just go nuts over them. Apperantly they are not poisonus
>since all my guys are healthy and happy. Let me know your thoughts.
>
>Jeremy

Mach T. Fukada, Web Master
fukada at hawaii_edu
Honolulu Aquarium Society