Re: blood worms

Non-member submission from [Wright Huntley <huntley1 at home_com>]

> Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 09:06:42 -0400
> From: "John M. Burns" <jmburns at pressroom_com>
> Subject: blood worms
>
> Anyone out there growing their own blood worms?  If so, how do you do it?
> I haven't hit on any internet references to the procedures.  Can anyone
> point me to some (if there are any).  TIA

It's easier in the tropics where there are a lot of midge flies.
Bloodworms are their larvae.

I used to use an old redwood hot tub for daphnia and mosquito larvae,
when I was in Santa Clara. In midsummer, there would usually be a few in
the bottom mulm. They don't tend to hang out at the surface like
mosquito larvae, but otherwise are similar. The higher hemoglobin
(redness) lets them live below the surface.

IMO, deliberate culture is not reasonable in temperate cimates.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679 huntley1 at home_com