Re: white-worm soil...

> Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:36:44 -0400
> From: Charlie Myers <cmyers at nrao_edu>
>
> Does anyone happen to know if the vitamins, fertilizers, and other
> such chemicals that are commonly added to potting soils are hazardous
> to the white-worm's health?
>
> I'd like to start keeping white worms and grindal's as well, but I'm
> concerned about how much trouble I'll have to go through to find an
> appropriate medium to store them in.  Any suggestions?

Don't worry, they are pretty tough little critters.  A lot of sources
recommend African violet soil mix, and it works quite well.  I've grown
them in various kinds of soil, and as far as I can tell, the important
thing is to have a medium that can stay moist, but still aerated.  On
the other hand, if it gets too soggy, you can easily harvest ropes and
blobs of escaping worms from the cover and sides!

If you can't find African violet soil mix, most kinds of potting soil are
about as good.  You can probably find African violet soil at your local
supermarket.