Re: Earthworms for Goldfish

>Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 18:19:16 -0500
>From: Tara Reynolds <tutcher at gate_net>
>Subject: Earthworms for Goldfish
>
>Hi there.
>
>This has probably been answered before, but I figured since I'm new to
this
>particular list I'll ask (Btw, I've just got done searching the archives
>and haven't found an answer yet.)
>
>Has anyone found any diseases/parasites, etc. that are transmitted from
>earthworms to goldfish?
>
>I keep goldfish and would like to feed them more live food. I can get
>earthworms from a local bait shop. Are there any types I should stay away
>from? Any way to tell if they are healthy or diseased? Or need I be
>concerned? I read it recommended that fish keepers should stay away from
>worms grown around pesticides. Is that the only requirement?

I've never heard of any diseases that can be transmitted from terrestrial
invertebrates to fish.  The only disease that I know of that can be
transmitted to fish from outside the water is a parasite that spends part
of its lifecycle in snails that get eaten by birds, which defecate in the
water.  Fish browsing the resultant muck for food tend to get this
parasite.

Since earthworms don't fit in that pattern, they're not candidates for that
particular disease.

I would add one other requirement to your list.  In addition to pesticides,
I would avoid areas with herbicides when digging for earthworms.

--
David W. Webb in a new neighborhood, where they cleared the land for the
subdivision with vapam, leaving nothing alive behind, not even earthworms.