Re: gammarus

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, J.P.Haffegee -Julian Haffegee wrote:

>     I've got a few waterbugs(Some kind of shrimpy thing- they're like
> underwater woodlice- gammarus maybe?) that i want to culture . Anyone tried?
>
> what do they eat. I've also got loads of microscopic bean shaped things that
>
> crawl around in the mud at the bottom of the tank(I don't know how- they
> have no legs!)- anybody seen these before. Do fish eat them? They're from
> the bottom of my daphnia culture.
>           TIA
>                Julian

Julian,
If your little woodlice-looking critters are dorso-ventrally flattened
(top to bottom) and they crawl around on the bottom or on vegetation they
are almost certainly isopods (Order: Isopoda, Genera: Asellus, Caecidotea
etc.).  If however these creatures typically cling to vegetation, are
laterally flattened (side to side), typically swim when disturbed, and
have a somewhat arched body they are likely amphipods (Order: Amphipoda,
Genera: Gammarus, Hyalella etc.)  In either case they should make great
fish food!!
Both Amphipods and Isopods are typically omnivores (eating essentially
anything), thus likely aren't too finicky when it comes to feeding them.
I'm sure a flake fish food would be eaten readily by both.

As for your bean-shaped guys, you've got me stumped.  Are they hard
shelled creatures or soft? When you say "microscopic" do you mean small,
but visible with the naked eye, or actually microscopic (ie. only to be
seen with aid of microscope)?
The only possibility that i can think are ostracods (seed shrimp). I have
huge numbers of these little critters in one of my tanks. While to the
naked eye these guys may appear to be legless, upon closer examination
you can find their legs located in a groove on the bottom of their
carapace (shell). I haven't tried feeding them to my fish yet but have
heard of this being done.
Good luck with your critters!

Bentley Christie