Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #62

In a message dated 3/6/98 9:06:19 PM, J Man wrote:

<<does anyone know what galssworms (glass worms) are? >>

>From what I have read they are the free swimming larvae of a fly  of some
sort. Supposedly they are often collected by breaking through the ice of
frozen lakes or ponds and netting them out.  Also, they are reputed to eat
fish eggs or very small fry.  This information comes from 'Exotic Aquarium
Fishes' by William T. Innes.
He lists their length as about one-half inch.  It would seem ,therefore , that
they would be more appropriate for conditioning spawners, or for growing out
larger fry, than for feeding to newly hatched fry.  For feeding small fry I
would recommend micro-worms, which I have used with great success, or vineger
eels, which I have not used but have heard good things about.  (This is in
addition to newly hatched brine shrimp, of course)  Hope this answers your
questions.
Jeff
WndrKdnomo at aol_com