Re: Live Foods Digest V2 #31

>How do the vinigar eels survive with out the acidic environment. I always
>thuught that was imperative to their survival. Have youu ever checked the pH
>of the sgar solution. It sounds like a great method and I think I will tinker
>with it.

Apparently not as the cultures really thrive. I suspect the pH is not
critical and the apple used in the vinegar cultures is probably to provide
sugars for the eels to feed on. I think the resins in the oak casks used to
store vinegar provided the food when they were found in them. The only
trick is to get the right amount of sugar and to little is better than to
much which will kill the culture. These cultures last for years.
Viviparous the Livebearer Information Service
Visit our web site for information on Livebearing Fish, Live foods and Plants.
http://home.clara.net/xenotoca/