Re: Vinegar eels

>Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:08:34 -0600
>From: "David W. Webb" <dwebb at ti_com>
>Subject: Vinegar eels
>
>From: "Rick " <rick71 at sprynet_com>
>To: <live-foods at actwin_com>
>Subject: Vinegar eels
>Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:23:45 -0700
>
>What is the best way to harvest vinegar eels to feed to fry? I've read that
>I should hang a strip of scouring pad in the vinegar, the eels climb in,
>then you lift up the pad and the vinegar drips out, leaving the eels, and
>you swish the pad around in the tank to release the eels into the water. It
>doesn't seem to be working. The eels apparently aren't going into the
>scouring pad, plus it seems like I'm putting vinegar into the fry tank.
>I've tried pouring the vinegar through baby brine shrimp nets, different
>types of cloth, coffee filters and even paper towels (which worked best,
>but not well enough to really use that method). Any suggestions would be
>appreciated. Thanks.
>[Rick & Dana Scott]

I use 10 micron mesh nylon cloth, available from Florida Aquatics to strain
them out. You can then rinse them, wash them off into a small contain such
as a plastic cup, then feed them with a dropper.

Barry

Barry Cooper, Chair                      email:  bjc3 at cornell_edu
Department of Pathology                  Voice:  (607)253-3336
College of Veterinary Medicine           FAX:    (607)253-3317
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853