Re: Leeches

Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 18:57:09 -0600
From: UncleScott <UncleScott at prodigy_net>
To: killies at mejac_palo-alto.ca.us, killies at killi_net
Subject: Re: Leeches

> Look to see if the critter is holding onto the substrate with its
> suckers. If so, It's a leech.

	Yep those suckers are leaches! (I couldn't resist it.) Someone
suggested to me that they were pretty specialized as paracites on the
worms. I've never seen them on the killies. However do try to keep them
out of the tanks just in case... :)

	I usually wash them away when cleaning the worms or once in a while
toss them to a large killie or small cichlid to be snarfed down. The
latter move may not be too wise if they are a vectors for internal
paracites. The diners have generally said thanks. At least they have
never spit one up.

	As you have found, those leeches are at their most dangerous when
they
surprise a person while picking eggs or cleaning a tank. It is a real
temptation to step backwards across the room with ones hands still in
the tank....like I did once when a kulli loach (I thought dead) zipped
from under a rock and between my fingers.

		All the best!

		Scott

PS. For those snow bunnies and crazies who like to drive ice covered
midwestern roads, a great Chicago Killie meeting will take place Friday
Jan 9th at the Schiller Park Days Inn (where the spring show was). Oldie
but goodie Mike Stoecker will be doing a retrospective on the killies of
past annual shows. For some reason the esprit de corps is highest at
January meetings (probably from the feeling "we got here alive, by golly
we're going to have a good time!").

--
David W. Webb           Texas Instruments
(972) 575-3443 (voice)  http://www.dallas.net/~dwebb