Re: Gram flour for Daphnia

This message was sent to live-foods-owner at actwin_com instead of
live-foods at actwin_com.

From: webmaster at Merlin_charitynet.org (Roger Sleet)

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997 23:39:11 +0000
Christopher Carrigan <carrigan at mail_pris.bc.ca> wrote
>  I have been trying to get some gram flour to feed my daphnia culture. I
> cannot find any here, but had asked someone in victoria to send me some.
> They did, however it is not called gram flour instead. According to the
> label, it is packaged by Hanif's international foods in North Delta,
> (Vancouver, bc), it is called Chana flour, (Besan) (curry en poudre). Is
> this the right stuff. It does not taste like it has curry in it despite
> the
> french. I have given some mixed with water  to the culture and they are
> still alive.

I know nothing about canadian labelling regs but .....

Gram flour is ground Chick Peas (or Pigeon peas) - in india these are
called Chana Dall (Dall means Pea).  So Chana flour should be the same as
Gram Flour.  Besan is another name for gram flour.  The only worry is the
"curry en poudre".  The culinary use of gram flour is in the production of
Packora (fried vegetable dumplings), these contain spices, and it is
possible your flour is pre-spiced.  In the UK there would be an
ingredients list, unless it was pure chana flour, which would have to at
least say

    Ingredients: Chick Peas, Spices.

Roger