Re: Live Foods Digest V1 #123

>Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 16:17:09 +0200
>From: "Phillip Hansen" <skilphil at pixie_co.za>
>Subject: Earthworms
>
>Hi,
>I have now got a thriving population of earthworms which my Malawi's love.
>For convenience is it OK to freeze whole worms or is it better to cut them
>up and maybe mix with some vitamin and then freeze.

Why freeze them? You don't say whether you are culturing the earthworms
inside or out, but you certainly can maintain a productive culture indoors,
if you have a cool place to keep them. I have two large styro boxes with a
mixture of potting soil and peat moss. I introduced the so-called dwarf red
worms (obtained from Carolina Biologicals) and feed them baby cereal. I
produce enough to harvest a dozen or so worms every second day or so. I
think this would be better than freezing them. My larger killies love them.

Barry

Barry Cooper, Chair                      email:  bjc3 at cornell_edu
Department of Pathology                  Voice:  (607)253-3336
College of Veterinary Medicine           FAX:    (607)253-3317
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853