Re: Artemia

<< At 03:58 AM 12/1/97 -0500, Bob Dixon wrote:
> > I recently read something that implies
> >that shrimp from the Great Salt Lake in Nevada are of a different species
> >than the ones harvested in the San Fransisco Bay.  In light of the vast
> >isolation between these two populations, speciation is a logical
consequence.

Dave answers
> I beg to differ.  Think how easily cysts could adhere to the feet of a
> migratory bird that eats the shrimp.  That would account for ready exchange
> of genes between geographically isolated populations.  Remember, geographic
> isolation is not the same as genetic isolation.     Dave Gomberg

I'm not saying I agree with the statement that they are separate species,
only that I saw it stated on one of these mailing lists lately, in a
discussion about the purported shortage shrimp eggs from Utah because of
recent governmental regulations, that "Artemia salina" only refers to fairy
shrimp from Great Salt Lake.  I must state, though, that adequate isolation
is possible, as migratory birds tend to follow the same north-south routes
every year, and spend virtually NONE of their migratory energies going
east-west enough to provide the kind of cross-breeding you suggest.
I'm not saying that I'm uncatagorically correct here.  Only that I can see
the possibility.  IF it is true, I think tree-huggers could cause havoc on
agriculture throughout the west by forcing an end to water rights in certain
areas in the name of Animal Rights.  Let us hope it is invalid.

Bob