Re: Live Foods Digest V1 #69

At 15:58 16.10.97 -0400, you wrote:

>Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:51:29 +0200
>From: "Simone e Pierluigi Vicini" <psvicini at mdnet_it>
>Subject: ant larvae
>
>Some days ago I found in an ant-hill hundreds of larvae. I didn't know if
>it was a good live food for my fishes so I didn't take any, but there will
>be no problems for me to take some now.
>Does anybody know if this is a good food?

I don’t know about the larvae, but I did feed ants successfully to my fish
from time to time.
Perhaps, they wouldn’t make a permanent food, because of high acidity (too
sour), yet they are
nice change in the diet from time to time. I guess the larvae would do too.

To collect the ants, I put a plastic dish near the
ants colony, and put some wet dog- or catfood
in it. A dead fish is fine too. Short time later,
there are plenty of ants in the dish. I then let the  dish float in the
tank, and ants are eaten when they crawl from the dish and fall in water.

- Vahe