Re: Live Foods Digest V1 #68

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997 23:35:39 +0100 Roger Winter
<xenotoca at clara_net> wrote;

> Not sure why you want water circulation unless your water
> has fouled (aeration clears the water and cause the resting
> eggs to hatch). The only way I can suggest if a normal air
> pump cannot be used is rictor connected to an airline. Also
> battery air pumps are available try a fishing bait store as
> they are cheap than from an aquatic outlet. Also the 12v
> compressors for inflating car tyres can be ...

I must comment here and point out that the 12 volt compressors
for inflating car tires ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR CONTINUOUS DUTY!
You will surely burn out the motor if you try running one of them for
more than a few minutes without long cooling intervals in between. If
you have one with the motor already burned out you can connect a
utility motor designed for continuous use to its shaft or you can
utilize a refrigerator or air-conditioners compressor by cutting
the two copper freon tubes and use them for your source of compressed
air (don't do this too often or you'll end up in trouble with the
EPA for releasing freon into the atmosphere). I use to use one
converted refrigerator compressor to drive the air lines and filters
on twenty 30 gallon tanks along with a 20 gallon brine shrimp
hatching cone and there was air to spare and THEY ARE SUPER QUIET!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  @ @  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki