Re: Live Foods Digest V1 #10

Beverly,

> What are you using for medium?  I've been making my own, and have problems
> with mold contamination that gets into the bottles when I add the flies.
> I haven't been able to find any of the food preservatives recommended and
> have been experimenting with lemon juice.  Does anyone have a good recipe
> for medium, or suggestions on mold inhibitors?
>
> Beverly Erlebacher
> Toronto, Ontario Canada

Don't know if this would work or not, but it might be worth a try.
Supposedly "camamille tea" is a mold inhibitor.  Some people water their
houseplants with it in order to reduce the number of mold gnats that
often inhabit the soil.  By watering with the tea, they reduce the
number of mold spores which causes a reduction in the gnat population.

It might be worth a try?  I might be spelling it incorrectly.  Its a
commonly available herbal tea.  Sometimes its called "sleepytime" or
something similar because it has the side effect of relaxing the human
body.

Regards,
David Robinson                          The Discus Page
robinson at ichips_intel.com               http://www.ee.pdx.edu/~davidr/