Re: [Live-foods] Daphnia Disaster

Chuck,

  I have been around reroofs, and the grit from the old shingles gets everywhere. If the pond had not been emptied, the grit might have eventually affected the daphnia or their quality as fish food.

  I can understand why he emptied the pond. In my job I see rain water filled containers of all kinds all sunmmer long, all swarming with mosquito larvae. Since in this area we have the disease that makes birds fall out of the sky dead, rampant mosquito refugia are all the more repulsive. I know the difference between daphnia and mosquitos but you can't expect the average person to. He probably thought he was doing you and your neighbors a big favor.

  You now have an excuse to make the trip to Detroit to pick up some Russian daphnia (and "micro-fex worms") and culture them inside where they do well even with limited space year round.

  I have cultured daphnia outside, and eventually the culture get invaded by predators such as glass worms that can quickly comsume an entire daphnia population. You can usually get three or four years in before the predators find your stash. After that, they check every year,