Re: [Live-foods] Small fly infestation in grindal worm box

<<My grindal worm box is infested with small fles. They don't seem to be
fruit flies because they don't come to a fruit fly trap. How can I get rid
of them? Should I flood the box for half an hour to drown them?>>

My grindal cultures also get infected with those flies in the late summer.
Not only are they a pest, but their maggots are quite large and, I think,
have a bad effect on the grindals.

I've read of several ways to get rid of them.  One is to put a subculture
into a glass of water and rinse several times.  The grindals sink and the
flies float.  I don't know about the maggots, though.

Flooding the box would also get rid of the flies, but I don't know how it
would work against the eggs and the maggots.

I've read that if the culture boxes are kept in large paper bags and opened
only in safe places, the flies won't be able to get a start.  That sounds
logical, and needs only be done when the weather is very warm.

My own experience is that by the time I notice the flies, the paper bag
remedy will no longer work.  I've tried rinsing and subculturing with only
marginal success, but that might work for you.  Not to be negative, but what
works best for me is to dump the old cultures and order new ones, when it
gets cooler.

Good luck!

Bill

End of Live-Foods Digest, Vol 40, Issue 1