Re: [Live-foods] Daphnia Water Chemistry

Daphnia need water with a high calcium content because, as crustaceans, they
need it to do make their shells.  Apparently they can live in soft water,
but do not thrive.

I gave up on using green water because it was too time consuming for me to
maintain a supply of it.  Instead I maintained a culture of D. pulex for 10
years, indoors and out, with a yeast and flour mixture.  (The culture died
when a helpful house painter emptied the tubs to get rid of the mosquito
larvae.)

Bill