[Live-foods] Green water for daphnia

Hi y'all,

I have been culturing green water successfully indoor for a few years.
However, I don't seem to be able to do the same outdoor.  I keep my green
water in dappled shade.  The temp right now is in 80's during the day and
high 50's at night.  I fed the culture with liquid African Violet food since
I did not put any guppies or gold fish in there.  The container is about 2
to 3 gallon size.  I tried a larger one with no luck in the past.  The
culture is nanochloropsis.  It sits there and get a bit darker, but then it
becomes foamy on top and dies.  What can I do to improve the situation?

TIA,

Tomoko Schum