Re: bbs how long and Salinity

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 17:16:40 -0700
> From: "Matt & Linda Crocker" <crockerm at peak_org>
> Subject: bbs how long
>
> How long are you guys keeping your bbs in the fridge after hatching?
> How are you storing the eggs, in the fridge or not?

I try to use them at once. If they start to molt (the first molt is
where they get longer than they are wide), they lose much of the initial
good nutritional value. That molt can be from 6-12 hours after hatch
(room temp.), but will be later if you refrigerate them (24hrs?).

I keep long-term bulk-storage eggs in the refrigerator (never the
freezer) but a smaller container (1lb or less) for daily use is left out
at room temp. Taking eggs from cold storage must be done carefully, and
the whole batch allowed to reach room temperature (1/2-1 day?) before
opening. Otherwise invisible dew settles on the eggs and starts their
hatch prematurely. Can dramatically lower total hatch rate.

> Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 00:06:44 -0500
> From: bogue <bob at naturalaquariums_com>
> Subject: Salinity
>
> Vincent,
> Salinity doesn't seem to be critical. I use water softener pellets
> and the amount depends on my mood and how much I happen to grab. One
> pellet per litre will hatch them. So will a double handful.

Here are the rules, as given me by the biologist at one of the big
Artemia producers:

Lower salinity tends to give faster hatch and promotes live-bearing
reproduction. [If you have a water softener, your softened tap water may
even give a good partial hatch!]

Higher salinity makes the hatch take longer and forces cyst production.

Otherwise, the salinity is far less critical than oxygen
(aeration/turbulence), heat and light for hatching bbs. Use George's
suggested levels and play from there, depending on your needs.

I find pre-soaking in RO water for a minute or a few gives more complete
and quicker hatch, too. [My old Fremont water was too hard and was as
bad as salt water for pre-wetting the eggs. IDK how Modesto water will
be. It is as high tds as Fremont's but way saltier and softer.]

Wright

--
Wright Huntley -- 290 521-0557 -- 731 Loletta Ave, Modesto CA 95351

"If you aid and abet the enemy, whether you're a citizen or not,
you're not entitled to the right of due process,"
             -- Sen. Charles E. Schumer,
New York Democrat, member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

So much for the (late) constitution he swore to uphold!