Re: Live Foods Digest V4 #18

Hello Matt,

In my experience, most kinds of yeast are OK as Daphnia food. I have
used Fleischmann's dry activated yeast (dissolve it in water before
adding to the culture) without any problems.

The only reason that I can think of for not using activated yeast is if
you are also using FLOUR to feed your Daphnia. Yeast + flour will start
a fermentation, producing alcohol, that eventually will kill the
Daphnia.

If you are going to experiment with different foods (i.e baby carrots,
etc.) first subdivide your Daphnia culture into two or more tanks, so
that if you overfeed and the culture crashes, you will have another
starter culture at hand.

Best,

George