Re: Live Foods Digest V4 #11

Hello Matt,

Yes, flake food works quite well, productivity is high, but the culture
goes "sour" rapidly. Perhaps to start a culture going flake food might
be a good high protein starting food, but unless you want to take care
of the culture on par with your fish, switch to a carbohydrate-based
food.

I use regular oat flakes, crushed (but NOT too fine, NOT a meal). If,
after harvesting the worms fron the inside culture cover, there is some
food left, I don't feed that day. Leftover food "sours" rapidly and the
culture declines in productivity, eventually crashing. Overfeeding with
oat flakes (or any other food) leads to the same "souring" and crash.

Best,

George